Thursday, June 6, 2013

What is different about a gifted student?

Teachers plant trees in whose shade they may not be around to sit.

What is different about a gifted student ?
The capacity to learn at faster rates
The capacity to find, solve and act on problems more readily
The capacity to manipulate abstract ideas and make connections. (Van tassel Baska)

What clues can we look for ?
Advanced vocabulary.
Advanced reasoning skills
Ability to abstract, conceptualize and synthesize; can see similarities, patterns and differences; can generalize from one situation to another; finds pleasure in intellectual activity
Wide knowledge base or deep interest in a particular subject.
Is an efficient learner.
Can process a great deal of information quickly; has rapid insight into cause-effect relationships;
is very observant.
Is curious and relates to creative challenge
Is a problem finder  as well as a problem solver
Able to create links between seemingly disparate things
Has powers of intense concentration when pursuing areas of interest.

Things to think about...
I remember reading something by Thich Nhat Hanh that had a profound affect on the way that I operate as a teacher. 'When you plant a lettuce, if it doesn't grow well you don't blame the lettuce. You look for the reasons that it is not growing but you never blame the lettuce. If you understand and show your understanding, you can change the situation.'
The more we understand limits placed on gifted students by the education system, the greater the chances of attaining positive change through thoughtful action based on readiness rather than age.
Teachers have the ability to 'see' or to 'not see' a student's potential and this can have a profound effect on student outcomes.  I would suggest that teacher passion has a part to play also. Many times we will not know the extent of the influence that we have wielded but we should be aware of its power. Among my varied interests is a love of rocks. I have a collection of rocks and crystals that began when I was much younger. When I became a teacher I used to have a small collection on the desk in my classroom and change them around periodically for no other reason than they gave me a feeling of peace and stabillity on the days when thirty five seven year olds seemed somewhat overwhelming. Some twenty years later I met up with a young man who recognised me as his teacher in that classroom and informed me that I was the reason that he had decided to become a geologist when he grew up, and asked me if I still had my rock collection. I had long since forgotten that they were part of my classroom life but he pointed out that all the kids in that class had known that I loved rocks and would tell them about them if they asked. He explained that he was one who had asked! I would never have known if it hadn't been for that chance encounter.
It made me reflect on the importance of sharing things that you are truly passionate about with children because it can spark a lifelong love for a subject. What do you have in your  classroom that is there just for you?  A painting on the wall? A photo of somewhere that you like to go? A book that you love ?
Small actions can create big change!

No comments:

Post a Comment